Media Release: Napier Port adds new Trans-Tasman Weekly Service
Napier Port are excited to announce the commencement of a new weekly service calling to Napier Port commencing from April. The ANZ Shuttle service, operated by CMA CGM Group, is a trans-Tasman service originating in Brisbane. Queensland. The first vessel on this service will be the ANL Tasman Trader, due into Napier Port on the 9 April 2023.
Napier Port CEO Todd Dawson was pleased to welcome the new and ninth* shipping service to Napier and provide further connections and flexibility for New Zealand importers and exporters, particularly as the Hawke’s Bay and Tairāwhiti regions progress with the cyclone recovery.
“We are working closely with cargo owners to overcome local logistical bottlenecks and ensure they retain access to key regional and global markets. The best thing we can do is to keep essential supplies and imports coming into the region, and to help our exporters get their high-value cargo to market,” said Todd Dawson.
Napier Port has extended its hours of operation in order to support Hawke’s Bay growers as the region move into the traditional peak season for produce exports. Berth windows for container shipping, previously disrupted by the pandemic, have also resumed and provide more certainty and regularity around vessel scheduling for importers and exporters.
“Over the last year Napier Port has advanced a number of key strategic projects that have improved productivity for cargo owners and efficiency for shipping lines. Therefore, we are well positioned to maximise the additional capacity we now have with improved availability across all six of our wharves,” continued Dawson.
“Looking ahead, our passionate port team will continue to prioritise support for our customers and cargo owners in the aftermath of the cyclone as Napier Port remains committed to keep doing everything we can to support our region’s recovery,” added Dawson.
Additionally, Napier Port welcomed two new container shipping line services calling to Napier earlier in January this year. The T.S. Lines China and ZIM Australia services provide greater and timely options for exporters and importers and help to ensure a competitive market across the wider supply chain.
*Includes the Eastland Port coastal shipping service
- The ANL Tasman Trader is a new build 1100 TEU vessel and will join the ANZ Shuttle service from November 2022
- The new port rotations are (pictured below):
- Contship Win: Brisbane – Noumea – Napier – Tauranga – Brisbane
- ANL Tasman Trader: Brisbane – Sydney – Napier – Auckland – Brisbane
- Brisbane cargoes originated from Lyttelton and Wellington will be transhipped in Napier
- Napier Port is also supporting Eastland Port in Gisborne with a coastal shipping route on the East Coast, initially for three months. This partnership commened last week and sees Napier Port provide ship planning services and use a coastal vessel to supply containers to Eastland Port for exporters to load with freight, which are then coastal shipped back to Napier Port for export. This gives businesses on the East Coast an opportunity to export products that they’re currently struggling to get to market due to road and rail damage.
Communications Manager | Tumu Whakapānga
DDI: +64 27 255 0486
About Napier Port
Napier Port is New Zealand’s fourth largest port by container volume. We are the gateway for Hawke’s Bay and lower North Island’s exports and operate a long-term regional infrastructure asset that supports the regional economy. Our strategic purpose is to collaborate with the people and organisations that have a stake in helping our region grow.
View all articles aligned to goals:X
Sustainability aligned with global goals:
At the United Nations summit meeting in September 2015, world leaders adopted 17 global goals (and 169 targets) as a set of universal goals that aim to address the urgent environmental, political and economic challenges facing our world. These are known as the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
More information on the SDGs and how Napier Port’s Sustainability Strategy aligns to these can be found here >>
Good Health And Well-being
Clean Water and Sanitation
Affordable and Clean Energy
Decent Work and Economic Growth
Industry Innovation and Infrastructure
Sustainable Cities and Communities
Responsible Consumption and Production
Life Below Water
Life on Land
Peace Justice and Strong Institutions
Partnerships for The Goals